Visitors may benefit from reviewing the following responses to frequently asked questions about the PoisonSense.

Is this site double up as a poison center?

No. This website is a poison information resource only.

How do I reach the PoisonSense?

Emailing drbundo@gmail.com or drjosekb@yahoo.com. Click the Get in touch menu for more.

Is there a cost associated with calling the PoisonSense?

Yes. Calls to the PoisonSense are charged based on your service provider rates.

How is the PoisonSense funded?

The PoisonSense is currently privately supported by the author. However, this kind of funding is limited and inadequate in supporting all the activities required to enrich this website with up-to-date poison information. Going forward private contracts/donors will be invited to support this critical service that has been neglected.

What information can the website provide to medical professionals and students?

  • Drug overdose and poisoning signs and symptoms
  • Specific treatment recommendations for each class of poisons. Whilst some pesticides have a well described toxicity profile in humans, many of the newer compounds rely on extrapolation from animal results as no published literature on clinical outcomes of human self poisoning has been described. Sometimes, there is little or no information on the chemical class. In such cases, relevant information for individual members is provided.
  • Non-specific management of acutely poisoned patient
  • Identification of chemical classes of poisons given the product name and functional class (e.g acaricides)
  • Specific first aid first aid for each of the common poisonous products

What kind of poisonous agents are dealt with by the website?

  • Pharmaceuticals (i.e., phenothiazines, paracetamol, tricyclic antidepresants)
  • Pesticides ( i.e., acaricides, insecticides, herbicides and some fungicides)
  • Chemicals (i.e., petroleum products, Copper sulphate)
  • Plants (i.e., cassava, mushrooms, Atropa plant)
  • Bites and stings (i.e., insects, snakes, animals)
  • Gases and fumes (i.e., smoke inhalation)
  • Food poisoning

Who answers the correspondence at the PoisonSense?

For the time being, the phone will be answered by the website administrator, a pharmacist with postgraduate degree in Pharmacology and Toxicology but with special interest in clinical toxicology, currently practicing in Kapsabet County Referral hospital. With adequate funding, more specially trained persons in clinical toxicology will handle the correspondence.

If I suspect a poisoning or overdose, shouldn’t I visit a health facility immediately?

If the person is not breathing, is unconscious, or having seizures, contact a poison center or seek medical help immediately. Otherwise, consulting poisonsense is an easy and cheap information resource for pre-hospital care. However such information is no substitute to a doctor’s advice.

Spread the love